Australian citizens getting married in Italy

Australian citizens getting married in Italy

To be done in Australia

•Before leaving Australia we strongly recommend you to obtain an ATTO NOTORIO (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside


•Certified DIVORCE DECREE (if applicable) or DEATH CERTIFICATE (if widowed) – this can be obtained from the Registrar of Birth Deaths and Marriages Note: Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse

To be done in Italy

•In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen who wish to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (NULLA OSTA). This declaration must be signed in the presence of an Australian Consular office at the Australian Embassy in Rome or at the Consulate General in Milan. This document simply states that “there are no impediments” and that one is free to marry

•The Nulla Osta is valid only for 6 months

•Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the PREFETTURA (Law Court) Note: If you did not obtain the Atto Notorio prior to coming to Italy, this document can be executed at the TRIBUNALE – Ufficio Atto Notori, and you must go there with an Interpreter and 2 witnesses over 18. You, the witnesses and the interpreter must show proof of identity and evidence of recent entry into Italy (i.e. plane ticket or visa or a permit to stay).